Huevos Rancheros means ranch eggs. The meal is suppose to be eggs, salsa, and tortillas. However, if you’ve ordered this in a restaurant you’ll see it also includes potatoes, onions, various peppers, along with eggs, and tortillas. So, maybe huevos rancheros can be almost anything with eggs. Here is my version of it:
- ½ lb. chicken
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 6-8 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- Shishito peppers, roasted/sautéed in soy sauce
- ½ cup quinoa, cooked
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tsp basil and oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- Sauté garlic, basil, oregano until lightly browned.
- While on low heat, green bell pepper, cayenne, paprika, basil and oregano and sauté until the bell pepper is tender.
- Add cooked chicken, black beans, roasted Shishito peppers, cherry tomatoes cut in half, and cooked quinoa. Add more basil and oregano (2 1/2 tsp each; trust me).
- Let this cook on low for about 30-45 minutes.
- Cook eggs separately or in the skillet however you desire.