Okay, so I know this does not look appetizing, but it really is delicious!
This dish could probably really be eaten as a salsa with chips, but I really liked it over rice. Quinoa would be a better option, I think, which is what I will have with it next time I make it.
Three Bean Pesto Salsa
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can of pinto beans )use other beans if desired)
- 2 oz of basil (possibly 3 depending on taste)
- 3 leaves of kale
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ a cup or more of Sunflower seeds
- Flax seeds (if desired)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt (depending on taste)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil (or as desired)
Next time try:
- Jalapeños or some other spicy pepper
- Only 1 red onion, no yellow
- More tomatoes
- Boil beans in one large pot with water that covers them about an inch or more. Once water develops the white foam-like bubbles on top, turn off heat. Remove as much of the foam with a spoon as possible, carefully without disturbing the beans.
- The Pesto: While the beans are cooking add everything but the tomatoes into a food processor and blend until it reaches the desired consistency.
- If beans are done and the above (with the beans and foam) is complete, drain the beans and stir in the diced tomatoes. (The stove should be off. No more heating will be needed.)
- Stir in the pesto. Be careful because the beans might be very tender and will break easily.
The salsa can be placed over rice or pasta, or can be eaten as is. Enjoy!